The Festival of Code is our annual celebration of everything code for those aged 18 and under. It occurs in regional centres all over the UK every year in the first full week of August (apart from 2014!), and ends with a long weekend where everybody comes together for a weekend of showcasing the amazing achievements created during the week. Expect talks from awesome and influential people, live music, pizza, ice cream vans, gaming and table tennis.
It is the best way to get to know how we work and to become a part of the community, whether as a young person, mentor or host centre.
The way it works
We will continue to add centres all across the UK until May. YRS will assign participants to their nearest local centre during June and July. Once you have been assigned to a centre, you may request to change to a different centre by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We will do our best to accommodate all requests.
Monday - Thursday
- young people gather in centres across the UK (from 2014 on this will include regions outside the UK)
- we will introduce you to the sources of open data, from government and beyond
- prototype websites, algorithms and apps are built for presentation at the weekend
- EVERYONE travels to the weekend Festival space (location tba) for an evening of music, talks and pizza
- stay overnight in designated spaces
- Show and Tell will commence, with allocated slots to centres running in concurrent streams in the morning and afternoon to panels of judges
- heat winners announced
- heat winners present to finale judging panel
- overall winners chosen/awards
- everyone goes home
It is very informal and there is plenty of opportunity to sit and code on your own or with others during the weekend. If you are uncomfortable on stage there is no pressure to present, but we will help you if you need or want some coaching.